Monday 20 June 2011

Meeting the relatives - Great-aunt Mavis

We followed the instructions of the GPS and pulled up in front of a lovely Californian bungalow with neat manicured gardens. Tentatively, I knocked.

The door opened wide and there she stood with bright eyes and a big smile. “Well,” she said, “You’re here. Welcome.” We were hugged, more than once and then she stood back and looked me over. “You don’t look like anybody I know but I just know you’re one of mine,” she said.

That was our welcome to San Leandro and the home of my great-aunt Mavis.

We had written a couple of letters over the past few months and visiting Mavis was something I had been anticipating for some time. You see, she is old and we didn’t know if she was well, or able to host us even though she had written and said it was OK to visit.

Tall, fit, slender, graceful with a head of beautiful white hair, this lady is sister to my grandfather and one of only two still living from a family of eleven. Nancy, the baby of the family, lives in Queensland.
Mavis is widowed now but came to the States as a war-bride in 1944.

There aren’t that many Australian war-brides still living and I was keen to get her story. Whilst we chatted for hours and hours, I’m still not totally clear on all the details but here’s what I found.

Mavis and another sister, Edna, had moved from the family farm at Texas on the Queensland border, to Brisbane. They were about 16 and 17 years old – Edna is older by 19 months. They worked at a school – I think they were housekeepers and also looked after the schoolgirls - and then got jobs sewing at a clothing factory.  They worked hard but still had time for a little fun, going to the local dances.

That’s where Mavis met Bill – “in a dancehall at some big place down by the river.” They met on July 30, 1942. Mavis was 18 years old.

Mavis is widowed now but came to the States as a war-bride in 1944. 

Bill (Willis) was with the US Navy, a cook on the US Fulton which was stationed in Brisbane. Their courtship was short and only two weeks after meeting, on August 14, 1942, Mavis and Bill declared their love at Victoria Park, Brisbane. They then had to get out to Texas so Bill could be introduced to the parents, and on September 29, 1942 they were engaged.

Many young couples were trying to marry during this wartime period and restrictions were introduced so they didn’t marry too quickly. Much to Mavis and Bill’s dismay they too had to wait for permission to marry. However, on June 10, 1943 Mavis married her betrothed. “He was the one, always the only one for me and I knew it right away.’
Mavis' front garden

Whilst her parents and family could not get to Brisbane to attend the wedding, her sister Edna was her bridesmaid.

Mavis was a beautiful bride, and her dress was a three/quarter length powder blue crepe made in the style of the day and she wore a hat. Edna’s frock was made to match. They both carried lovely colourful bouquets of flowers. Bill complemented the wedding party, very handsome wearing his Navy uniform.  In my opinion, Bill has always looked like the typical ‘all-American guy’ – fair skinned, light coloured hair, blue eyes and presented in neat and tidy good casual clothing.

Four months after they were married, Bill was shipped out, back to the USA. In Mavis’ words, “They didn’t tell us ahead of time, it was terrible, he was just gone!”

It was another six months before they saw each other again. Mavis left Australia on the US Lurline on 5 April 1944. She shared her cabin with other young women who also had married US sailors and were travelling to meet their husbands and start new lives in a new country.

I asked Mavis how it felt to sail away, not knowing the future.

“Well, I was going to be with Bill so it was OK. I didn’t think about leaving my mum and dad or anything like that.”

Mavis went quiet then and said,”I don’t want to talk about it. I still get emotional, I used to get emotional back then too but I kept it to myself. I was too busy getting on with my life with Bill and the children.”

After moving around a bit, Mavis and Bill settled down into family life in San Leandro in San Francisco. They had twins – a boy, Jim and a girl, Jennifer on July 6, 1945 and another daughter Gail on September 4, 1948.

Bill eventually got out of service and later joined United Airlines. He worked there in administration til he retired. That was a stroke of genius as it meant they were eligible for discounted airfares, which made coming ‘home’ a little easier.

Their first trip back to Australia was in 1964 – 20 years after leaving.  They spent time reconnecting with many of her family, both immediate and extended, then Mavis stayed on for a couple of months to visit with her mother, my great-grandmother, Priscilla. Mavis’s father had passed away by then and she helped her mother settle in Texas township from the family property, Bloomfield Park.

Mavis and Bill made many more trips back to Australia to visit her family in 1969, 1973, 1975, 1979, 1986 and 1990. They also travelled extensively in the USA, Europe and Korea.

They bought their home before it was finished in San Leandro “back when there was nothing here.” Mavis kept the house and gardens while Bill provided for his family.
Sadly, Bill died a couple of years ago and dear Mavis still weeps when talking about him. Jennifer, Mavis and Bill’s twin daughter, died from an asthma attack at the age of 42 and this has always weighed heavily of their hearts.

She is not lonely, nor does she sit home home twiddling her thumbs. She has her garden and still mows her own lawn (at 87), a good neighbor to go walking with, and her children, Gail and Jim, live close by. Her grandchildren and great-grandchildren love and respect her and she often chats with them on the phone.

Mavis was a good sewer and made clothing, curtains and even upholstered her lounges. Like many of her Belford family, including my own mother, she would put her hand to anything and most times, it worked out really well.

memories of Australia
her homeland
Many of the Belford clan are very sentimental and typically nesters. We like to create a home (not a house), displaying our treasures and sharing our memories. Mavis is no different, even though she lives on the other side of the world. She is a true blue Aussie and has never taken up US citizenship, although she has become a permanent resident. It was important to her to remain faithful to her birthplace.
Treasures make a home
Her lovely home is filled with photos of family and memorabilia from Australia and other places. 

We felt right a home visiting her and she looked after us like we were her own.

She is a little forgetful these days, but keeps up with the news, is strongly opinioned and is “very grateful for the wonderful life she has had.” Her favourite saying is “why should I worry and what the hell do I care? I’m an old lady and I’ll say and do as I please.”

I’d say that’s just a bit of Belford attitude coming to the fore in her latter years.

After only eight days, I feel like I’ve known Aunt Mavis my whole life instead of intermittent letters and messages from my mother.  Johno and I just love her to pieces and are both thankful and honoured to have her share her memories with us. Our USA trip is much richer for having taken some time out with a ‘lovely old lady’.



No comments:

Post a Comment